9/6 fall

So it's that time of year again. Football, apples, soups&stews, baseball playoffs, crisp evenings, pumpkins... This is when New England is really alive. The kids are all back to school now and although there'll be a few hot days yet, we all know what's around the corner. And with that, lets introduce the foundation for many of the things I will be cooking up during the next couple months.

Few people make their own stock, and yet it's dead easy - especially chicken stock. The most important part of stock is not to let it boil. I usually roast my chicken bones for an hour first. This makes for a darker stock, but it also helps get rid of the fat. I usually use onions, carrots, celery and a little tomato paste (again helps with color and flavor). Throw in some aromatics (peppercorns, thyme, parseley, bay leaves...) and that's pretty much it. If you want a really clear stock don't roast the bones and omit the tomato paste. It all cooks gently for 5-8 hours before going through the strainer. I reckon this batch (a gallon or so) will last me at least a month or two depending on what I cook.

1 comment:

NateAte said...

Stock is all well and good - but why the ostrich eggs?