9/22 Enchiladas Verdes

I don't normally make enchiladas since they're pretty time-consuming; they live in same "not really a Tuesday night dinner option" as making lasagna from scratch . But I ended up with a bunch of tomatillos from the CSA, and I wanted to do something a little more substantial than salsa verde.

This is a pretty straight forward recipe, and if you made the sauce and filling in advance, you probably could assemble and bake it on a weeknight and eat before 8:30. The tomatillo sauce is dead-simple (just onions, green pepper, jalapenos, tomatillos, chile pepper and salt simmered and blended). For all you tomatillo newbies out there - please don't over-blend. Tomatillos are chock full of pectin, and you can end up with a really gross goopy jam-mess if you blend too much. Some people like to add sugar to too-tangy tomatillo sauce, but with the cheese in this dish, I say the tangier the better. The enchiladas are stuffed with smoked cheddar and sauted zucchini, corn, onions, more jalapenos, and a good bit of ground cumin.

I had enough left over to do another small pan - which went straight into the freezer for dinner at a later date.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was gonna vote for the Enchiladas, and then I noticed the zucchini. Good gravy, this is an enchilada! Why is there zucchini in there? But otherwise they sounded awesome.

Woot said...

Look - this recipe came from a Greens cookbook. That means it has become all California - bitchified.

Actually, as a child one of the favorite things that my mom used to make were cheese and broccoli enchiladas, which was like, heaven. I'll make that next with some red sauce.

And the zucchini was nummers.