9/27 Moussaka

After picking up my veggies from Steve from Parker Farms, Haskell and I headed over to Market Basket to pick up some sort of protein to make a meal out of. With no real idea of what we were going to cook, we hoped that Market Basket would provide some sort of inspiration. After browsing through the various offal they have there (veal hearts, beef feet, marrow bones, veal tongue, beef tripe...) I decided I wanted some lamb. Since I still had Steve's eggplants from last week and got more today, I figured a moussaka was in store. Unfortunately I didn't have a recipe, and didn't quite remember how to make it. So this is my bastardized version of moussaka. Basically where I went wrong is that I substituted the white cream sauce that usually bakes on top with mashed potatoes. So the whole thing turned out to be the bastard child of a moussaka and a Sheppard's pie. Not the worst thing in the world by any means. So just to recap what did end up inside this concoction: evoo, onions, garlic, ground lamb, parseley, thyme, oregeno, tomato paste, homemade tomato sauce, mashed potatoes, grilled eggplant, feta cheese all topped with a thin layer of egg yolk, which i guess was my approximation of what should have been a baked cream of sorts... Anywho, it was still quite delicious and will be enjoyed tomorrow at lunch as well.

4 comments:

Woot said...

I can't believe you used the word, "evoo." I though only Rachel Ray talked like that kind of crap.

Tom said...

i guess deep down inside she's my idol...

Woot said...

Are you talking about what I think you're talking about?

Tom said...

im not sure... am i?