9/4 salmon w/ rutabaga puree and arugula


Oh, salmon season. Surely you are the most wondrous of the seasons. Nothing like a thick steak of California King to satiate a fishee craving. I knew that salmon was going to be the centerpiece of this meal - but what to pair with it? I had three little red potatoes from the CSA, which after much searching of the cookbooks led to a decision that maybe a nice rutabaga puree could round things out, with spicy arugula salad. The rutabaga and potatoes have been mashed with a generous amount of warm milk, butter, chives, parsley, and nutmeg.

I have just discovered the genius of horseradish. Is this bad? In any case, I'm making up for lost time. You'll notice a decent spoonful making itself known here.

5 comments:

Tom said...

i heart arugula. the rest looks good too :P

NateAte said...

How did the rutabaga turn out? It looks like a very pretty plate.

Woot said...

The rutabaga was tre yummy. It's pretty spicy - I haven't cooked it before (at least that I recall), but I would definitely make it again. One thing that I always find misleading is how recipes will say you can mash starchy roots (turnips, parsley root, rutabaga) after 25 minutes. What a lie! (Except potatoes). These probably needed a good 45 minutes to get soft enough to mash.

NateAte said...

Good point. I have had that issue in the past. I just went for it on a whim and was a bit disappointed.

Unknown said...

I may have missed, but I was wondering if you used wild Alaskan salmon caught of off the coast of Kodiak Island ?