10/14 enchiladas rojas

I feel like it would be unfair of me to all of the beautiful enchilada colors and ethnicities of the world to make enchiladas verdes without a follow-up of enchiladas rojas. This is an improvised recipe that started off with a memory of one of my favorite childhood dishes: broccoli and potato enchiladas. I don't know how "authentic" this combo is, but it sure hits the spot. I also had a pint of frozen red chile from the New Mexico extravaganza.

I started off by blanching the broccoli and boiling and cubing potatoes. I searched through my recipe books for something on red sauce, but didn't find an exact match for the red chiles, so I ended up sauteing an onion, adding some toasted/ground cumin and oregano, a big can of whole tomatoes (pureed until smooth), the chiles, and salt. I simmered this for about 15 minutes and decided that was all it needed. I assembled the enchiladas per the usual technique (filling was brocc and potatoes, sauted onions, plus a cheese blend of grated monterey jack and white cheddar).
As usual, I had lots of leftovers.

No comments: