10/09 sweet and sour butternut squash


My first Mario Batali recipe! As usual, the inspiration came from a CSA box item I hadn't planned for. This time, it was butternut squash. Maro has a recipe for sweet and sour pumpkin (zucca agrodulce) that caught my eye while flipping through the book, so I appropriated the recipe for butternut squash.

First, I peeled and diced the squash (approx. 3 pounds) into 1-inch cubes. I sauted the squash with a good 1/2 cup olive oil and several cloves of thinly sliced garlic. After this began to get golden and lovely smelling, I added add 6 tbsp of honey and 6 tbsp of red wine vinegar plus 2 tsps of red pepper flakes, then simmered for 12 minutes or so until the sauce was syrupy and the squash tender.

Mario suggests serving this with pasta (which I did, along with mint and grated parm), and it came out great. Prepare-ahead note: minus the mint and cheese, this kept in the fridge so all I had to do was boil pasta and prep the toppings.

The dish was so good, in fact, that I've thought of a brilliant hack that I plan on trying out soon. The idea is: Prepare per the instructions above, subbing peanut or veg oil for the olive oil. At the end, stir in a can of coconut milk and some lovely shrimps, and simmer gently until tender. Serve over rice with chopped mint and/or cilantro. Yum!

No comments: