10/08/07 smoked salmon with brown rice and a poached egg



This was a totally improvised recipe based on something similar (though not as good) I had at a tea house. I got the brown rice in my CSA box as a "substitute" because of their problems filling boxes with the normal mix of veg - all caused by a quarantine on tomatoes/peppers/similar fruits in the Dixon, CA area to contain a Mediterranean Fruit Fly infestation. Massa Organics grows rice in the Sacramento delta and is a friend/neighbor of Eatwell Farms.

What to do with brown rice? It takes forever to cook (a whole hour) and I personally believe it needs lots of soy sauce to make it worthwhile. Here I composed a dish of four parts:
  1. smoked salmon from the farmers' market
  2. brown rice seasoned with plenty of soy sauce
  3. carrots stir fried in sesame oil with a little bit of ginger and chile powder, plus sesame seeds
  4. a poached egg
This is a good meal for a person still recovering from a cold (aka, me).

No comments: