8/29 potato and fennel soup with rouille

Another first time on a recipe this week - with another soup. Can I just say that I love soup? Soups and me are like *this* (crosses two fingers together, shakes hand). But seriously, soups are good in the summer, they are good in the winter. They showcase vegetables to no end. I heart a good soup. Here we have a very simple soup: homemade stock, fennel, potatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes (here, a combo of canned and fresh) white wine, herbs and "aromatics" (as if saying "I'm using saffron in this dish" isn't pretentious enough - I get to lump it in with "aromatics").

What really pulls this dish together is some stupid french thing that I can't pronouce (uhhh, "roo-yay??? Help a brother out, Tom). It's basically bread pounded together with lots of chile powder, garlic, and salt. It's hard to see in the photo, but that's the icing on the cake, as it were.

1 comment:

Tom said...

i believe the proper pronunciation of rouille (which means rust) is something like ROO-ye, emphasis is really on the first syllable though.

of course the French R is not exactly like the English R. If you wanna learn how to pronounce that, check this out hehe... http://french.about.com/cs/pronunciation/ht/r.htm