8/28 red wine, tomato and onion soup

I guess this is sort of a veggie take on French onion soup, although since I've never made French onion soup I can only surmise. My friend Serena borrowed one of my cookbooks (The Greens Cookbook) just to make this recipe, so I figured I had to give it a shot. The basic idea is summer tomatoes and their juices, stewed with a bunch of thinly sliced red onions, red wine, and thyme stock.

Two things about this recipe: I went ahead and bought a baguette, sliced it into crouton-sized pieces, and popped them in the freezer for convenient as-needed usage, which worked perfectly here. I am brilliant. Also, it was immediately clear to me on completion and tasting that a nice crumbled goat cheese should really be used to finish this off. As a "mostly vegetarian," I'm extremely sensitive to the components of food that make a person feel full and satisfied after eating - and a soup without beans, grains, potatoes, or cheese/cream has a hard time cutting it as a main course.

2 comments:

Tom said...

that sounds really good actually. i like the thought of tomatoes+wine as a proxy for beef stock in this recipe. Did you roast the tomatoes at all? it seems like you could get a really intense flavor profile that would rival beef stock if you roasted the tomatoes first...

My last experience with onion soup was an attempt to follow keller's recipe. god it came out good, but i guess thats what you get when you cook the onions four flippin hours before adding any of the other ingredients. nevermind making homemade beef stock! that guy is a nut.

Woot said...

I didn't roast the tomatoes - just a quick dunk in boiling water, de-skin, and seed. I agree that roasted tomatoes would be an excellent hack on this concept.

My other real complaint about the dish was that I didn't think the onions came out quite soft enough, but I don't think I'll need four hours to get them where I want them to be.