3/14 A spring quiche/tart/thing


This was made more recently (on March 3). I have been making a lot of different tarts and quiches lately, with either yeasted or non-yeasted crusts. I had been avoiding the yeasted crusts since I was having a hard time getting the dough to rise properly. This time around, I put the dough in my oven on "warm" and let it rise in there, which helped considerably. I think the oven was probably still too warm even though I had some good rising action happening, so next time I do this I will leave the door propped open a little.

A yeasted dough can be simply spread in the tart pan and the ingredients poured right in to bake. A non-yeasted dough needs to be prebaked. I was having a lot of problems with bubbles forming in the bottom of my non-yeasted doughs, even when I was pricking holes in the crust to let the steam escape. One of my friends reminded me of the old "foil and beans" trick to weight down pre-baked pie crusts, which I have employed once now to great success.

Another trick when baking a filled quiche (either yeasted or non) is to really wait until you see a nice brown crust to pull it out of the oven (as opposed to relying on the old, "45 minutes and it's done" rule).

The real moral here is that this particular quiche, which had asparagus and red onions, was the product of many a trial and error. I'm a "learn by repeating" kind of girl - even though I consider myself relatively adept in the kitchen, even I have cooking disasters.

A recent example came when I tried to make muffins with buttermilk in the batter. I blended my dry ingredients together and then went to mix in the buttermilk. Thinking it would be faster to use my electric mixer, I blended for a few seconds and then noticed the buttermilk separating into solids and water. It was disgusting. I had to throw the whole thing away and didn't have any muffins. I still don't know precisely what went wrong, but I know next time I will not not not use an electric mixer.

2 comments:

Tom said...

sounds like you made muffin cheese!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.