2/4 Vancouver: Salt Tasting Room

We're gonna try something a bit different and blog about some of our dining adventures in addition to our standard cooking posts. We're gonna try to keep these interesting and only post about dinners that are particularly inspiring or memorable for some other reason. I think we're also going to stay away from "reviewing" the restaurant. This is more about what inspires us.

I'm gonna start this off with my first meal in Vancouver, where I'm spending a few days. I solicited some recommendations from the chowhound message boards and received a number of great ideas. I definitely recommend this approach if you want a local's take on great food when traveling. So off I went this morning in search of the Salt Tasting Room. Located in a back alley in the Gastown district, this is definitely not something you just stumble across. Basically the concept is that you create your own tasting plate from an ever changing list of charcuterie, cheese and condiments. There's a great wine list and they will pair wine's with your tasting plate.

I was one of three patrons in the restaurant - which actually worked out really well. I saddled up to the bar where the plates are prepared and chatted it up with the host who had plenty of great recommendations. He let me try some free extra bits and pieces and even served me a free glass of Merlot from British Columbia. He also gave me some other great dining tips. I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel like Rachel Ray... My plate included Beef Tongue, Jamon de Ardennes (a very smoky cured ham) and Ginocchiaona (a salami cured with tiny bits of orange zest). All three were awesome and locally produced - the salami was especially tasty; the orange really made the difference. My condiments included Guinness mustard, quince paste and cipollini onions - all served with a big basket of bread. Not bad for $15.

All in all, I couldn't have started my stay in Vancouver any better. If my remaining meals are anywhere near this great, it'll be a great trip.

No comments: