2/19 Salmon Tomliatelle

Question: You've got an egg, some left over fish and an hour to cook dinner - what do you do? An omelet? Nah, that just won't cut it tonight. So with a little inspiration from old friend Jamie Oliver here's my solution to the problem.

I got home from work at 5:45. After taking off my jacket I immediately mixed 3/4 cup flour with an egg. I added in a squirt of tomato paste and a heap teaspoon (as Jamie would say) of fresh ground pepper. I gave it a whirl in the mini-cuisinart for 45 second and formed a dough. Some would call this a pasta dough. I let the dough rest 45 minutes in a covered bowl, which apparently develops the glutens or something technical like that. After 45 minutes I brought my water to a boil and started running the dough through the pasta machine. This takes just under 10 minutes - and I'm pretty bad at it. Miraculously, in that time the (well-salted) water had just come to a boil. I cut the pasta sheets into thickish strips. Tagliatelle? I'm not sure. I prefer to call them tomliatelle (because there's tomato in them of course).

In any event, I dunked my pasta in the water and quickly made a sauce - butter, parseley, capers, anchovies, yuzu (more on this another day - but it's an asian citrus fruit like a very flowery lemon) and the leftover steamed salmon from last night. Nothing here needs to cook - so 2 minutes on high heat was sufficient to melt the butter. Turns out this is exactly how long the pasta needed too - crazy how these things work out! Once done, everything was combined onto one glorious plate. Tomato-pepper tomliatelle and salmon. BAM! Parmesan? Nah... call me old-school but a drizzle of olive oil is the only other thing this dish needed.

Dinner was served at 6:43.

No comments: