1/26 Black and White Pizza

I've been sick for almost a week now and there appears to be no end in sight. Not sure what I have, but it's been a while since I've had anything quite this bad. The worst part is I don't even know who gave it to me, so I can't blame anyone! Anyway, I wasn't cooking much earlier in the week because I felt tired and groggy. Sitting around the house doing nothing has gotten rather boring though, so I went and picked up a few things at the megamart today. The goal was to take advantage of the pizza stone I received for Christmas and had yet to use.

What I ended up concocting was nothing short of delicious. I call it a black and white pizza. I made the dough with some regular old flour, yeast and water. After kneading and proofing, I topped it with Italian Fontina, fresh ricotta w/ hot pepper flakes, wood ear mushrooms (a mild somewhat chewy yet thin mushroom) and caramelize shallots. And that's about it. The mushroom add an interesting texture and I certainly liked the "black and white" look. I'm glad I didn't make it red all over though.

No comments: