1/20 spinach and goat cheese custard

I'm really trying to get better at making homemade pastry crusts. A good pastry crust is both one of the world's simplest things and seemingly the most fleeting.

This was a decent use of a big bunch of spinach, scallions, garlic, and a nice goat cheese. I think the crust still needs more work - although this was my first version with veggie shortening (sure, I used the Spectrum naturals organic version, but its still mechanically pressed palm oil). It needs to be, like, browner, and more flaky. And, like, it needs to be higher up over the edge of the pan so I don't leak out custard guts all over the pan it was sitting in, forming some sort of horrible, burnt egg/fetus/thing.

2 comments:

Tom said...

im gonna go out on a limb here and say you need to use good old fashion butter instead of spectrum goo! that being said, that looks awfully good right about now. ive been craving a good quiche for a while now.

Woot said...

Oh believe me, there was butter in here too. I think the ratio was 4/1 (4 tbs butter to 1 of shortening).

I don't hate me some butter.